Notification to Council

Notification to the Council

Notification to the Council

There are certain circumstances under which a building owner must notify the Council of a change in a buildings status, for more information on these requirements see below

The owner(s) or the authorized agent of the owner(s) must notify the relevant council (i.e., territorial authority) in writing before any of the following occurs:

  • Changing the use of a building
  • Extending the life of a building(s) with a specified intended length of life
  • Subdivide land, which will result in the grant of a cross lease, company lease, or unit title(s), and the subdivision affects an existing building(s) or part of an existing building(s)

Once the relevant council receives the notification, the council will assess the notification and any accompanying documentation for Building Act 2004 and building code compliance.

For more information about changing the use of a building and extending the life of a building, please see here.

For more information about the subdivision of a building, please see Section 116a of the Building Act 2004.