Build Waikato
Building Consent Extension

Building Consent Extension

Extension of Building Consent

This page contains information on extending a granted building consent before it lapses as well as extending the code of compliance timeframe.

When does a Building Consent lapse?

Timeframe to complete building work

Owners should commence building work within 12 months of a building consent being issued.

If building work has not commenced within 12 months, the building consent will lapse under section 52 of the Building Act 2004.

If your Building Consent lapses a new building consent is required for the work to take place.

Any building work carried out after the lapse is considered illegal.

If delays are anticipated you can apply for an extension before the building consent is due to lapse.

You can find our Extension of Time application form here

NOTE: An extension of the 12 month period does not automatically extend the timeframe for the BCAs Code Compliance Certificate decision at 2 years. If you need an extension to the Code Compliance Certificate timeframe you can apply for this on the same application.

An owner must apply for a code compliance certificate as soon as practicable after all the building work is completed.

If you are unable to complete your building work within 2 years from the date that the building consent was granted, you can apply to Council to extend this time frame.

Building Consent Extension Application

If we don’t hear from you before 2 years, or any further agreed extension of time, Council must decide whether to issue or refuse your Code Compliance Certificate (under section 93(b) of the Building Act 2004).