A Building Consent is required for all new residential dwellings, and additions or alterations to existing dwellings (unless exempt under Schedule 1 (or the 2010 Amendment of Schedule 1) of the Building Act).
- Asbestos (a hazardous substance)
- Additions and Alterations
- Certificate of Acceptance
- Changing The Building Use
- Decks, Balconies & Verandas
- Demolition, Removal or Re-Siting
- Fences & Retaining Walls
- Garages, Sleep-outs & Sheds
- Hazardous Substances
- Heaters & Fireplaces
- Changing Approved Plans
- Pool Fencing
- Smoke Alarms
- Solar Installations
- Sustainable Buildings
- Driveways / Vehicle Crossings
- Weathertightness / Leaky Buildings
Other useful information
- Applying for a building consent
- Application forms and checklists
- Guides for Homeowners
- Licensed Building Practitioners (LBP) to learn more about the LBP scheme, and how this affects homeowners.
- Owner-Builder Exemptions
- Producer Statements & Certificates of Design.
- Producer Statements & Records of Work.
For further information or queries contact the Building Unit of your local Council.