Applicant's Checklists

Either print the form and fill it in with a pen OR
Fill in the form on screen and then print it . To SAVE the completed form for your project records, use the following instructions:

  1. File, Save As, then go to step 3; OR
  2. File, Print, then select CutePDF Writer (or Adobe PDF) as the Printer; then Print, then go to step 3
  3. Name the file. Use the project street name or the client's name and the date, e.g., Anywhere St 2013-09-02
  4. Select the folder in your computer to save the file to
  5. Select Save

NOTE: If you are using chrome to access the interactive forms you need to wait about 30 - 40 seconds until you see the text fields turn grey, then they become responsive and you can type in the fields.  The forms download properly in internet explorer, but for some unknown reason chrome downloading of the forms has started to play up.

These checklists are designed to help you and your designer know what information and documents need to be provided with your application. Please make sure your designer gets a copy of the appropriate checklist(s). If this information is not provided, your application will be rejected or put on hold. We will not be able to lodge or process your application until this information is received.  

How to fill in the checklist

  1. Tick if you have supplied the requested item. If the item is not relevant to the project tick the NA box (Not applicable).
  2. For PLANS and SPECIFICATIONS, please record the page number for each requested item. Page numbers are ONLY required for information on the PLANS or in the SPECIFICATIONS. For example, plans p5 5, Specs pg 20
  3. For large plans or specifications: put the page number OR range of relevant pages e.g. pg 40 - 60.   
  4. For all other documents that are not part of the plans, or not included in the specifications, put NA in the page number box. 
  5. At the bottom of the checklist write the project's location (address) 
  6. Write your name clearly, then sign and date the document

Please note:  if you are applying for a Building Consent at Hamilton City Council or Matamata-Piako District Council, you will need to provide 3 copies of your floor plans with your application.

The Checklists

Dwelling Projects  (PDF 153kb)

Interactive PDF (836kb)
New dwellings, sleep-outs, alterations and / or additions, conservatories, change of building use to habitable, duplexes.

Solid Fuel Heaters  (PDF 121kb)

Interactive PDF (303kb)
Wood, coal, or pellet burners.

Minor Works  (PDF 132kb)

Interactive PDF (924kb)

Bathroom facilities, level access showers, retaining walls, decks & verandas, marquees, signs (>3m), other / fully engineered projects.

Outbuildings & Farm Buildings  (PDF 138kb)

Interactive PDF (452kb) 
Garages, carports, farm & implement sheds (excluding cowsheds)

Plumbing and Drainage  (PDF 126kb)

Interactive PDF (282kb)
Residential & Minor Commercial

Solar Installations (PDF 125kb)

Interactive PDF (288kb)
Solar panels (voltaic), solar water heating panels / cylinders.

Re-sited / Relocatable / Multi-Proof  (PDF 156kb)

Interactive PDF (390kb)
House, office, garage, repiling, MBIE multi-proof (NMUA)

Pools and Spa Pools  (PDF 126kb)

Interactive PDF (337kb)
Swimming pools, spa pools, pools capable of holding 400mm depth of water.

Cowsheds / Dairy Sheds (PDF 143kb)

Interactive PDF (369kb)
Rotary & herringbone construction methods.

Demolition or Removal (PDF 102kb)

BC is required if >3 storeys, or if not a stand-alone building.

Project Information Memorandum (PIM)  (PDF 99kb)

Interactive PDF (290kb)


Compliance Schedule Detail Forms

Please note Form LG-11 has been retired, as it did not meet BCA regulation requirements.
Please use the new forms available via the link above.


Commercial Buildings  (PDF 162kb)

Interactive PDF (487kb)
New commercial & industrial buildings, additions and alterations, apartment complex's, horizontal fire separations. Details of the specified systems (safety systems) must be provided as well. This must include the performance standards and the proposed inspection, maintenance and reporting procedures for the specified safety systems. See the Compliance Schedule Detail Forms. If this is not provided, the application cannot be lodged for processing.
Recent Legislative changes 2013. There have been changes made to the acceptable solution C Protection from fire for existing buildings for which more information may be required. Check out MBIE website and guidance on Protection from Fire (C/AS1 - C/AS7 Information Sheet). Please ensure that if you plan to alter an existing commercial building that you have provided a Fire Philosophy that meets the requirements of this guidance. (Building Score Sheet taken from the guidance document)


Note: Trade waste application should be made at this time. See information and application links for each council. If not applied for at this time, it could result in costly rework to meet waste water requirements.

Managing your Quality Assurance

Use these checklists to help you and your staff manage the quality of your applications and project documentation. Aim to provide complete, accurate and code compliant documentation that requires no requests from Council for further information that could slow down the processing approval of your application. Rework costs time and money for all involved.

[ Back to top ]  [Back to Application form]

Producer Statements & Memoranda 

If you are providing Producer Statements or Memoranda during, or at the end of, construction, please check that the document provides adequate information and that the author is on the Waikato Building Consent Group register, or other appropriate register e.g., Registers of Designers and Tradespeople

It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that they have employed people who are suitably qualified or licensed, and who are competent to do the work for which they are employed.

All Producer Statements or Memoranda will be checked against the Producer Statement / Memoranda Checklist (see next section). If this information has not been provided, your Producer Statement / Memoranda will be rejected until you provide all the required information.

The following templates (PS1 - PS4 below) can be used if you are submitting Producer Statements or Memoranda. These templates contain all the required information of a Producer Statement. The Producer Statements that an IPENZ member produces are available from the IPENZ website. These are interactive PDF's, and are copyrighted to IPENZ, ACENZ and NZIA.      

Alternatively, below are some templates that you can personalise. If you are using a personal template, please ensure you check your template against the Producer Statement Checklist to ensure all the required information has been provided. 

  • Producer Statement Checklist (PDF 64kb)    Interactive (IPDF 178kb)   Word 2010 (105kb)
  • PS 1 Template  (PDF 29kb)   Word 2010  (60kb)
  • PS 2 Template  (PDF 29kb)   Word 2010  (60kb)
  • PS 3 or Memorandum Template  (PDF 29kb)   Word 2010  (60kb) 
    • PS3 is a Producer Statement given by the tradesperson to the designer stating that they have completed construction according to the designers plans.
    • A Memorandum of Completion and Compliance is usually given by someone who has installed a building product or system to the Council stating that the construction meets compliance requirements. For example, waterproofing under a shower.
    • Please note: the information required is the same as that of a PS3, therefore we have provided a template that can be used for either purpose.
  • PS 4 Template  (PDF 29kb)   Word 2010  (60kb)
    Producer Statements for Construction Monitoring (PS4). For some projects that involve Specific Design (rather than acceptable solutions) or for projects that are very complex, the Building Consent Authority (BCA) may have requested that the Engineer (or Architect) provide a Producer Statement for construction monitoring (PS4). The BCA will use these statements in their decisions around compliance of the construction with the approved plans and specifications.

See also the MBIE Guidance on the use of Certificates of Work, Producer Statements and Design Features reports for Chartered Professional Engineers.

For Restricted Building Work you must use the form prescribed under the Building Act, or the MBIE form:

If you have provided a PS1 for the design work, you also need to provide a Certificate of Design Work (COW) -  see above.

If you have provided a PS4 for the supervision of Restricted Building Work, you also need to provide a Record of Work (ROW) - see above. 

Record of Work (ROW) - at the completion of the construction project a Record of Work (form) must be provided by all licensed building practitioners who carried out or supervised any work that is restricted building work.  For more information, go to Licensed Building Practitioner page.   

If you require assistance in selecting the correct application form or checklist, please contact the Building Unit of your local Council.

[ Back to top ]


Page last updated: 2017-03-22

Hauraki Matamata Piako Waitomo Otorohanga Waipa Waikato Hamilton