Independent Qualified Persons (IQP)
An Independent Qualified Person is a person (or firm) approved by a Territorial Authority as qualified to inspect, maintain and report on certain specified systems. 'Independent" means that the person has no financial interest in the building.
Refer to the MBIE website (building warrant of fitness guide) for the BWOF process including
- the inspections and maintenance of specified systems
- Amendments to a compliance schedule
All Independent Qualified Persons are required to be registered with the Hamilton City Council on behalf of the Councils in the Waikato Building Consent Group and other councils within the Waikato and Bay of Plenty Regions. The register is available online here:
The IQP is responsible for carrying out the specified system procedures for
- Inspections and tests
- Preventative maintenance and repair work
- Reporting inspection, maintenance and repair work undertaken to ensure the systems remain in working order. This includes the date, the work carried out, the names of the persons who did the work.
- Providing the owner with a completed Form 12A (before the BWOF due date) as evidence that the relevant requirements of the compliance schedule have been met.
For more information regarding builder and designer rights and obligations see the MBIE website.
- Commercial Buildings
- Compliance Schedules and Building Warrant of Fitness
- Compliance Schedule Handbook (Published on 14 February 2014)
- Compliance Schedule Details (examples)
Page last updated 2016-07-07