Building Consents  - what you need to know

If you are intending to start a building project, it is recommended that you check with the Building Consent Authority (your local Council) to see if a building consent is required. They have a wide range of building control expertise, and information about exemptions and the building consent process. If the work, or part of it, does not require a building consent, you may save time and money. But, in most cases, a building consent will be required.

Information brochures that can be downloaded for free in PDF format - click   here for complete list.

What is a Building Consent?

A Building Consent is the formal approval confirming that the proposed building work, based on the plans and documentation provided, complies with the New Zealand Building Code, Building Act 2004 and Building Regulations.

A Building Consent is only obtainable from an accredited and registered Building Consent Authority (BCA). The building unit of your local Council has been accredited by International Accreditation New Zealand (IANZ) and registered by the Building System Performance branch in the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment (MBIE). As such, Council are authorised to process your application for a building consent, inspect the building project at various stages, and to certify the work at project completion.

If a building consent is needed, no physical work can be started until the Council has issued the Building Consent, and Resource Consent (if applicable). If you start any site or building work, before this, you are liable for a fine.

The pages (below) will assist you in finding out whether you need a Building Consent, how to apply for one, how your Building Consent application will be processed, and what to do once you have your Building Consent.  


Do I Need a Building Consent?

  • Exemptions
  • Responsibilities - Owner / Agent, Designer, Builder 
  • Illegal Work
  • Property Files

Certificate of Acceptance (COA)

  • What it is
  • Under what circumstances do you apply for a COA
  • When a COA cannot be issued
  • How to apply


Applying for a Building Consent

Building Consent Processing 

  • What is involved and how long will it take?
  • What are Building Consent Conditions and Advisory Notes
  • Determinations
  • What are my responsibilities?
  • When can I start to build?
  • What if I want to make changes to my plans?
  • What happens if construction is delayed?
  • Council's responsibilities

Inspections & Certification - CCC

What inspections do I need?
  • Booking inspections
  • Who needs to be there?
  • Being ready for inspections
  • What happens if my project fails an inspection?
  • Smoke Alarms
  • Final Inspection and Certificate of Code and Compliance




Application Forms & Checklists

  • Building Consent Application Forms & guides
  • Applicant Checklists (listed)
  • Producer Statements & Memoranda
  • Restricted Building Work requirements
  • Owner & LBP responsibilities

Processing Checklists

  • Why use them?
  • Processing Checklists (listed)
  • Producer Statements & Certificates of Design Work

Inspections Checklists

  • Why use them?
  • Inspections Checklists (listed)
  • Producer Statements & Records of Work

Building Consent Information Brochures

  • About Building Consent
  • Other Building Projects & Issues
  • Planning
  • Other

Project Information Memorandum 

  • What information is included in a PIM?
  • How do I apply for a PIM?
  • How long does it take?
  • How much does it cost?
  • What do I do with my received PIM?

Producer Statements & Memoranda

  • Types, categories and purposes of Producer Statements and Memoranda
  • Information required on a Producer Statement and Memoranda
  • Register of Authors

Fees & Charges

  • Building Fee and Charges 
  • Components
  • Payment of fees
  • What causes additional costs?
  • Cancellations

National Multiple-Use Approvals  (NMUA) 

  • For group housing or building companies who repeatedly use the same design

For further Building Consent information please contact the Building Unit of your local Council.
Consumer also provides useful information on Building, Renovating and Home Maintenance.

[ Back to top ]


Page last updated: 2016-05-12

Hauraki Matamata Piako Waitomo Otorohanga Waipa Waikato Hamilton